HI,I have recently purchased an off plan...

Asked by Anonymous on 05-09-2018 14:45:08
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 0.00

HI, I have recently purchased an off-plan property which the occupation date on the OTP was 01 September 2018. I have requested the Occupation Certificate to which the developer could not furnish, and as a result agreed telephonically to shift the Occupation Date to “on registration”. Later when receiving an email confirmation of the change, the developer noted that he had spoken to the chairman and changed it to “the date the occupancy certificate is received”. I am currently disputing this with the developer. My question is: Is it legal for the attorneys to issue an Occupational Rent invoice to myself knowing there is no occupancy certificate issued for the property in question – as I have received one which they later scrapped when I raised the Occupation Certificate issue with the developer. As I understand it, is it not illegal to occupy the premises as there is no registered service connections (water, electricity, sewerage etc) with the municipality if there is no occupancy certificate? Thank you,

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.