I obtained vehicle finance from FNB duri...

Asked by INFOPLAN on 03-07-2017 13:38:24
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to Eastern Cape
Question value: R 100.00

I obtained vehicle finance from FNB during 2008. As a result of sickness I lost my ability to generate an oncome after which FNB repossed the vehicle. The vehicle was auctioned and an amount was still owned to FNB. For a periof of 5 years I have had no further communication from FNB in this regard untill I found out that a default judgement was obtained without my knowledge.Due to the fact that the debt was classified as "prescribed" I enquired on what basis the judgement was allocated. Credit records showed that payments were made on the account to create the impression that the the debt has not been "prescribed" in order to obtain the judgement. I did not make the payments as it would jeapordise the "prescribed status". Please advise. Is FNB allowed to act in this way? Can I proceed with fraud charges and/or what alternative remedy do I have to clear my credit record. 

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 09-07-2017 17:09:37

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If FNB took no steps to recover the debt for 3 years, then their claim has prescribed. 

BUT, if they have issued a summons and had it served on you before the 3 year time period expired (i.e. before the claim prescribed) then they have effectively interrupted prescription. 

It is not the date that the judgement is granted on which matters, it is the date on which the summons was served on you. 

If they have alleged that you made payments to pretend that the prescription period was extended, that is something that you need to fight them about in court by way of a rescission of judgment application. Only then will your credit record by cleared.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.